Monday, March 30, 2009

How to get SSH connection from remote networks

From my original reply to post: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/184369


Remote SSH to VMware
Dec 10, 2008 12:34 PM
drummingfool (3 posts since Dec 10, 2008)

Here's my issue:

I have set up vmware running CentOS 5.2 on a vista host machine. I would like to remote SSH into my centos from anywhere. I can ssh into centos locally from the host box, but not remotely. I assume this has something to do with port forwarding. I am running straight into a modem from the host box and therefore do not have direct port forwarding. I can also VNC into the host machine remotely. Also the windows firewall is off, as well as all firewall options on centos.

Someone help! having to vnc into the host box and then use vm is getting painfully slow. Any ideas?

----------------------------------other replies cut---------------------------------------------


Re: Remote SSH to VMware Mar 5, 2009 12:14 PM
in response to: drummingfool
bplotkin (1 posts since Mar 5, 2009)
Reply 4. Re: Remote SSH to VMware Mar 5, 2009 12:14 PM
in response to: drummingfool

You will need to enable ssh for external networks.

Open /etc/hosts.allow ( something like $vi /etc/hosts.allow) and add the following line at the bottom:
SSHD: ALL

or even easier type at the prompt
echo "SSHD: ALL" >> /etc/hosts.allow

This will allow all external networks to connect to the SSH service.
otherwise you can put an IP or a range of IPs to have a more secure system (google hosts allow for more information).

No comments: